As many people know, human physiology and psychology has evolved over several million years, resulting in the wondrous evolutionary achievement known as Homo Sapien. In the past ~10,000 years, agriculture and industry have created an environment that our bodies were not designed by evolution to live in. Behavioral flexibility has allowed us to adapt, but the rapidly changing world in which we live leaves us susceptible to unhealthy lifestyles. Prior to the agricultural boom of ~10,000 BCE, our ancestors were eating only meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, and some fruit. They remained mobile throughout a majority the day, with short periods of intense physical activity. There was no wheat, oats, or dairy available. There was no television, internet, video games, etc. As a result, our bodies have not evolved to digest processed foods such as bread, oatmeal, cookies, etc., or cheese, butter, milk, etc. We have not evolved to be sedentary day in and day out. By excluding these foods from our diet and increasing manual labor, general mental and physical health should improve. The purpose of this Blog is to document my journey that is modern Ancestral Living.

Friday, July 23, 2010

Trying to catch up to today on my posts

The beginning of this week marked week 2 of IF for me, and after such shoddy food choices over the weekend I decided to attempt my first 24 hour fast. I awoke Monday with minimal hunger, as usual (I've never been the type to eat breakfast, so it hasn't been a problem for me to skip this meal.), my last meal having been around 5:30pm the previous day. I waited until around noon to have my first cup of coffee, as opposed to having it around 8-9 in the morning. And I went through the day as though it was any other, studied for and took a test, chilled with my fiancé, etc. While studying in C building at school, SP came up to me and asked how I was feeling after a 20+ hour fast up to that point. I told him I felt fine, very alert and easily able to concentrate. He said something that made great sense: It would be beneficial for our ancestors to be alert and focused when in a fasted state so that they were better able to hunt and make a kill. This goes against everything I have ever been told growing up. "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. You need to eat breakfast if you want to perform well on tests..." But I rarely if ever ate breakfast before tests, standardized or not, and consistently performed above average. Anecdotal, I know. But that plus the info and literature I have read about IF...

It is necessary to note that when I did break my fast, at around 6 pm Monday, I ate a good amount of red meat, some bacon and asparagus, and had a protein shake to wash it all down. It is important to consume a large amount of protein so your body has fuel and doesn't break down lean muscle for energy, as I've said before.

On to Tuesday. I was happy with how I felt from the day before. After a 24 hour fast I expected to be much hungrier than I was, so decided to IF again. No breakfast then a pool WOD: 7 rounds for time of 20m swim, 7 push-ups with hand release, 7 sit-ups, and 7 squats; completed in 15:59. I was very satisfied with my performance because swim WODs suck. And considering I had not eaten yet, I was happy. My post WOD meal consisted of more red meat with veggies. Also had another meal later that evening of chicken and a salad with some steamed broccoli. Oh, and I tried this day of IF without coffee. I didn't feel bad, just normal. Still minimal hunger pangs but much less energy compared to the days I have a couple of cups of coffee.

Wednesday was yet another fast day, the third in a row, and went pretty much the same as the previous two. I didn't eat breakfast but did have coffee, fasted for about 17 hours, and ate a high protein meal. The WOD was done in the evening, 100 push-ups, with hand release, for time. 11:42, these push-ups suck! It's a standard push up, except after the down you rest all of your body weight on the ground and raise your hands 1-2 inches up off of the ground before beginning the next rep. It ensures full range of motion, meaning it ensures you hate it. However, exercises you hate you need to do with regularity. I digress.

Yesterday I took as an eating day, had some eggs and a protein shake for breakfast. Felt the same as fasting days, but there is something to be said about food intake in the a.m. I had no coffee but felt energized and happy. Close to the same feelings I get after a meal on IF days, not quite as elated though. Went to SP's house to do a garage WOD: 10/2, 8/4, 6/6, 4/8, 2/10 reps for time of 115# squat clean and elevated push-ups. Finished in under 20 minutes, this one was a Killer! Had a post WOD meal of a protein shake, some jerky, and an apple, and didn't get hungry again until around 7:30pm.

That's enough for now, on to catching some rays by the pool :)

Adios.


2 comments: